Stress and it's Effect on Pain
WHEN IT'S DISTRESSED
"PAIN PARTS" OF THE BRAIN
spasms and other physiological changes anywhere in
light up this area, when activated, DLPFC turns off.
or flight signals
• Blood flow
• Nervous system
• Gastrointestinal system
• Genito-urinary system
• Bodily pain
• IBS & bladder symptoms
• Rapid heart rate
• Headaches & migraines
PTSD is an anxiety disorder that can develop after a traumatic event such as car accident. It includes flashbacks, nightmares, and severe anxiety which can make it difficult to handle chronic pain on top of managing ptsd symptoms. When someone has been in a vehicle accident or seen one, they may develop persistent fear after the event, which can result in post-traumatic stress disorder.
Chronic pain sufferers who have had a vehicle accident may feel as if they are re-experiencing the event, making physical pain and emotional trauma increasingly difficult to handle.
5 Ways Post Accident Stress Worsens Pain:
- Sufferers have a reduced pain threshold, which means they detect more intense, continuous, and usual pains.
- Post Trauma sufferers are often hypervigilant of their body leading to constant awareness of the sensation in that area.
- Post accident trauma can lead sufferers into a cycle where emotional distress leads to physical pain and physical pain in turn worsens their ptsd symptoms.
- PTSD sufferers often have a more negative perception of their bodies causing them to pay greater focus on minor aches and pains.
- The ever-present dread of a repeat trauma makes it increasingly difficult to manage chronic pain while ptsd symptoms are present.
If you are experiencing post car accident PTSD, you may also be needlessly suffering from chronic pain. PTSD endures if left untreated; its symptoms can feel unrelenting with no end in sight. It is normal for those with car accident ptsd to put their energies towards ignoring anything that reminds them of their trauma. Unfortunately this never works as it takes energy to forget, and the body keeps score.
If you are experiencing post car accident trauma and chronic pain, a Lighthouse Counselling Trauma Therapist will help bring quick relief to your emotional and physical suffering. We are a team of licensed trauma therapists with a combined 50 years of experience in helping people heal from their trauma wounds, and find purpose in their lives once again.
To learn more about how we can help call us today for a free 15 minute phone consultation.